The Hingham Public Library was incorporated on March 19, 1872 by a Special Act of the Massachusetts Legislature for the purpose of maintaining a public library in the Town of Hingham.
Following the enactment in 1965 of an amendment to the 1872 Special Act, management of the Library has been vested in a Board of Trustees consisting of:
- The members of the corporation (no fewer than 9 nor more than 11 in number)
- The Chair of the Select Board, the Superintendent of Schools, and the Treasurer of the Town as trustees ex officio
- 3 residents of Hingham appointed by the Select Board
- 2 residents of Hingham appointed by the Moderator
The Board of Trustees annually elects officers. The Board also maintains a number of standing committees to facilitate policy development and service delivery.
The Board of Trustees hires a qualified/certified Library Director to oversee the management, operation, and development of the Library.